If you’re concerned about how amalgam fillings might affect your health, Kentucky Dental Group offers mercury-free dentistry. Why do so many people—and our dentists—prefer composite fillings?
Why the Concern?
Amalgam fillings (also referred to as silver fillings) contain about 50% mercury. That’s more mercury than silver or any other element. The American Dental Association says amalgam fillings are safe. But according to some studies, small amounts of mercury vapor are released from the fillings when you chew. Many people are concerned about how mercury vapor will affect their oral health and their overall health. So they want mercury-free fillings.
Why Kentucky Dental Group Prefers Mercury-Free Fillings
Our dentists prefer to place white composite fillings rather than amalgam. Several reasons include:
- Composite strengthens teeth because it bonds to them. As amalgam fillings age, they corrode, separate from your teeth, and weaken them.
- When a tooth is prepared for a composite filling, less of its healthy structure needs to be removed.
- Mercury-free fillings insulate teeth and make them less sensitive to heat and hold.
- They look better. A shade is chosen to closely match the color of your natural teeth.
When you look at the before-and-after photos on this page, you can see how the old amalgam fillings have corroded and separated from the teeth. Bacteria can leak in the gaps and cause decay. Correctly placed composite fillings bond to your teeth and lock out bacteria.
How We Ensure Your Fillings Will Last
It takes more time and advanced technique to place composite fillings. Our dentists have the training and skills required to give you long-lasting results. We take the following steps:
- We use high-quality composite materials.
- Your fillings will be placed by one of our dentists. This procedure will not be assigned to a dental assistant.
- Our dentists ensure proper preparation, bonding, and sealing techniques are followed to sustain the health, beauty, and function of your teeth.
Are You Interested in Mercury-Free Dentistry?
When you’re a patient at Kentucky Dental Group, we partner with you to ensure you understand your options for the dental treatment you need. And we listen to you to provide the type of care you want—including mercury-free dentistry.
Call us to schedule an appointment, or request an appointment online.