15% of Americas have dental anxiety or dental phobia. If you experience it too, the dentists at Kentucky Dental Group can help you relax and have a pleasant dental experience. You’ll be so comfortable that you probably won’t remember what happened during your appointment.
What Is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedative medication is used for a dental appointment to help you relax. There are different levels of sedation. The level you receive depends on several factors, including:
- The types of sedation your dentist offers
- Your medical history
- The level of your anxiety
- The dental procedure you’re receiving
Levels of Sedation
At Kentucky Dental Group we offer mild and moderate sedation to keep you completely comfortable and relaxed throughout a short or extended dental appointment. Your dental visits will be more productive than usual. More can be accomplished during your appointment because you’ll be relaxed.
Nitrous oxide is the mildest level of sedation. It’s a colorless, odorless gas also referred to as laughing gas. How does it work?
- We will give you nitrous oxide to breathe in just before and during your appointment.
- You’ll be alert, but you will feel calm, relaxed, and comfortable. Nitrous oxide gives you a sense of well-being.
- After your dental procedure, we’ll give you pure oxygen to breathe in and reverse the effects of the gas.
- You will be able to drive immediately after the appointment because the effects of the sedative will be gone.
Conscious Oral Sedation
This moderate level of sedation uses commonly prescribed anti-anxiety medication to help you relax. It’s taken in pill form. Conscious oral sedation makes you drowsy, so arrange for transportation to and from your appointment.
- You will take the medication in advance of your appointment so you’ll arrive at our office relaxed.
- We will monitor your vital signs throughout the procedure. You won’t be left alone.
- You will be very relaxed, but still conscious and able to respond to questions or instructions.
- After your dental appointment, you will still be drowsy.
Your Comfort Starts with Our Team
Often dental anxiety or phobia stems from negative past dental experiences. Each of our team members feels personally responsible for ensuring your comfort. We work hard to make every visit with Kentucky Dental Group a positive experience. The comment below from one of our patients is an example of the difference we can make in your dental experiences.
“I had a horrible experience with my last dentist. Kentucky Dental Group has restored my faith in excellent dentistry. I don’t think there’s another group of people who could have walked me through such an ordeal. They have boundless compassion and patience. To say I am grateful to them would be an understatement.”
– K. Terry
Call us to schedule an appointment, or request an appointment online.